Frozen 2, also known as Frozen II, is a 2019 American computer-animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios. The 58th film produced by the studio, it is the sequel to the 2013 film Frozen and features the return of directors Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee, producer Peter Del Vecho, songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, and composer Christophe Beck. Lee also returns as screenwriter, penning the screenplay from a story by her, Buck, Marc E. Smith, Anderson-Lopez and Lopez,while Byron Howard executive-produced the film.Veteran voice cast Idina Menzel, Kristen Bell, Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, and Ciarán Hinds return as their previous characters, and are joined by newcomers Sterling K. Brown, Evan Rachel Wood, Alfred Molina, Martha Plimpton, Jason Ritter, Rachel Matthews, and Jeremy Sisto.
Set three years after the events of the first film,the story follows Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven who embark on a journey beyond their kingdom of Arendelle in order to discover the origin of Elsa’s magical powers and save their kingdom after a mysterious voice calls out to Elsa.
Frozen 2 had its world premiere at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on November 7, 2019, and was released widely in the United States by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures on November 22, 2019. It has received generally positive reviews from critics, who praised its animation, visuals, music and vocal performances, while criticism focused on its convoluted plot and creative choices.
King Runeard, founder and first king of Arendelle, establishes a treaty with the tribe of Northuldra by building a dam in the Northuldra’s homeland, the Enchanted Forest. However, a fight occurs and enrages the spirits of earth, fire, air, and water who inhabit the forest. The spirits disappear and a wall of mist encases everyone in the forest. Runeard’s son Prince Agnarr barely escapes with the help of an unknown savior.
Three years after her coronation,Queen Elsa of Arendelle celebrates autumn in the kingdom with her younger sister Princess Anna, Olaf the snowman, Kristoff the kingdom’s ice harvester, and Kristoff’s reindeer Sven. When Elsa hears a mysterious voice calling out to her, she follows it and unintentionally awakens the elemental spirits, which forces everyone in the kingdom to evacuate. Grand Pabbie and the Trolls colony, aware of the situation, arrive to Arendelle and Pabbie informs them that they must set things right by discovering the truth about the kingdom’s past.
Elsa, Anna, Olaf, Kristoff, and Sven embark to the Enchanted Forest, following the mysterious voice. The wind spirit, in the form of a tornado, appears and sweeps everyone in its vortex. Elsa stops it by firing streams of snow, forming a set of ice sculptures. They discover the sculptures are images from their father’s past and that their mother, Iduna, was a Northuldra who saved Agnarr. They encounter the Northuldra and a troop of Arendellian soldiers who are still at conflict with one another. The fire spirit appears, Elsa discovers it to be an agitated magical salamander and calms it down. Elsa and Anna form a truce between the soldiers and the Northuldra by explaining that their mother was Northuldran and their father was Arendellian. Elsa later learns the existence of a fifth spirit who will unite people and the magic of nature.
Elsa continues to head north with Anna and Olaf. They find their parents’ shipwreck and a map with a route to Ahtohallan, a mythical river told by their mother to contain all explanations of the past. Feeling guilty that her parents were lost at sea in search of answers to her magical powers, Elsa decides to travel alone and sends Anna and Olaf away to safety. Elsa encounters and tames Nokk, the water spirit who guards the sea to Ahtohallan. Reaching Ahtohallan, Elsa discovers that the voice was the call of Iduna, and that her power was a gift from the magic of nature because of Iduna’s selfless act of saving Agnarr, making her the fifth spirit who unites differences. Elsa wields her mother’s mantle and also learns that the dam was built as a ruse to reduce the Northuldra’s resources because of Runeard’s dislike of the tribe’s connection with magic, and that Runeard was the one who initiated the conflict by killing the leader of the Northuldra. Elsa sends this information to Anna before becoming frozen, having ventured into the most dangerous part of Ahtohallan, which in turn causes Olaf to fade away.
Anna receives Elsa’s message and concludes that the dam must be destroyed for peace to be restored. Anna finds and awakens the sleeping gigantic earth spirits, and lures them towards the dam, which is destroyed by boulders hurled by the giants. Elsa thaws out and returns to Arendelle, stopping a flood from the destroyed dam. As the wall of mist disappears, Elsa reunites with Anna and revives Olaf. Kristoff proposes to Anna, who accepts. Elsa explains that she and Anna are now the bridge between the people and the magical spirits. Anna becomes the queen of Arendelle, while Elsa becomes the protector of the Enchanted Forest who regularly visits Arendelle as peace is restored in all the lands.
- Idina Menzel as Elsa, the Queen of Arendelle and Anna’s elder sister who possesses magical ice powers
- Mattea Conforti and Eva Bella (archive sound) as Young Elsa
- Kristen Bell as Anna, the Princess of Arendelle later the Queen and Elsa’s younger sister
- Hadley Gannaway and Libby Stubenrauch (archive sound) as Young Anna
- Jonathan Groff as Kristoff, an iceman who is Anna’s boyfriend and accompanied by a reindeer named Sven
- Josh Gad as Olaf, a sentient snowman created by Elsa’s magic
- Sterling K. Brown as Lieutenant Destin Mattias, the leader of a group of soldiers who were trapped in the enchanted forest for years.
- Evan Rachel Wood as Queen Iduna, the mother of Elsa and Anna and wife of Agnarr.
- Jennifer Lee previously provided her single line in the first film.
- Delaney Rose Stein as Young Iduna
- Alfred Molina as King Agnarr, the father of Elsa and Anna and husband of Iduna. He was previously voiced by Maurice LaMarche in the first film.
- Jackson Stein as Young Agnarr
- Martha Plimpton as Yelana, the leader of the Northuldra tribe.
- Jason Ritter as Ryder, a member of the Northuldra, Honeymaren’s brother who shares Kristoff’s love for reindeer.
- Rachel Matthews as Honeymaren, a member of the Northuldra, Ryder’s sister who wants to bring peace to the enchanted forest.
- Jeremy Sisto as King Runeard, Agnarr’s father and the grandfather of Elsa and Anna.
- Ciarán Hinds as Grand Pabbie, the leader of the Trolls.
Additionally, Alan Tudyk provides voices to a Guard, a Northuldra Leader, and an Arendellian Soldier.Archive sound is used for Tudyk as the Duke of Weselton and Santino Fontana as Hans, a Prince from the Southern Isles who tried to take over Arendelle.Paul Briggs also reprises his role as Marshmallow, a giant snow monster created by Elsa in the film’s post-credits scene. Singer-musician Aurora portrays The Voice, a mysterious magical entity that allures Elsa.
WATCH ONLINE HERE
DOWNLOAD LINKS HERE